- What are the various parts of the ear that are affected by blackheads?
- What causes blackheads in ear?
- Can you get a blackhead inside ear canal?
- Blackheads behind ear
- How to remove blackheads in ear
- How to get rid of blackheads in ear fast
- How to get rid of blackheads in ear naturally
Blackheads are very small bumps that form on the skin. It is a form of an acne. This bumps are caused by clogged hair follicles. They termed blackheads since they cause the skin to become dark. Blackheads not only form on the ear but also on the arms, shoulders, on the face, chest, on the neck region, on the back and the nose.
Are blackheads in the ear painful? Blackheads inside the ear canal can be very painful. The blackheads can appear inside the ear canal or behind the ear. This article will help you learn more about blackheads and the appropriate treatment that will help you get rid of the same.
This calls for careful examination in order to determine the root cause in order to get rid. Getting rid of blackheads out of the ear canal may force one to pop in order to get rid of them out of the ear canal.
Blackheads is a very common problem. It does affect both males and females. This condition is not necessarily caused by dirt as some may think. This condition is caused the presence of excessive oils on the skin. The excess oil mix dead skin cells and dust which in turn blocks the pores on the skin. Below is the discussion of the causes in length.
Blackheads are majorly composed of dead skin cells and sebum. The dead skin cells together with the sebum normally combine on the skin to form blackheads. This kind of blackheads are usually referred to as comedone.
What are the various parts of the ear that are affected by blackheads?
The blackheads on the ear does not target specific regions. It normally affects several parts of the ear. Some of the commonly affected parts of the ear include:-
- The earlobe
- Behind the ears though not very common due lack of hair follicles
- The ear cartilage
- In the ear canal
- Near ear piercing
What causes blackheads in ear?
Having knowledge on the causes of blackheads is very important. This will help in identifying the correct treatment that will help get rid of the blackheads in the ear fast. It should be noted that, apart from the causes, there are several other factor that may cause the formation of acne along the blackheads.
In addition, blackheads does not target a given age of people. This infection can affect anybody including children, adults, men and women and more common in those who are in their puberty stage.
Below are some of the root causes of blackheads in ear:-
1. Blockage of hair follicles
Clogging of the hair follicles is the major cause of blackheads in ear. The clogging occurs when dead skins cells mix with the excess oils on the skin and some bacteria. The resultant mixture accumulate on the hair follicles causing them to clog and hence develop blackheads. Due to this reason, blackheads rarely affect the region behind the ear due to lack of hair follicles.
The blockage of hair follicles can also be caused by folliculitis. It is a skin infection caused by bacteria or by fungus. It is also caused by damaged hair follicles. Folliculitis normally appear as red pimples with a hair in the center of each one of them.
2. Poor hygiene
The human ear is made up of three parts, the outer ear, the middle ear and the outer ear. However, cleaning can only be done on the outer ear only because cleaning of the other parts can cause damage.
Poor hygiene of the ears can also be one of the causes of blackheads in the ear. How is this possible? This can happen when one use very dirty hands to touch the ears, using very dirty earphones, poor hygiene of the ears and many others.
In addition, the human ear is made up of ear wax which is secreted by the glands found on the skin. This wax is very vital and useful for protection of the fine tissues of the middle ear. However, the ear needs to be cleaned to get rid of the wax and allow for fresh wax to be secreted.
3. Use of certain medications
Medications are beneficial to human health but it is always good to consider the type of medications before use. Some of the medications are associated with undesirable side effects like the development of blackheads. These drugs whenever used, the cause reaction in the body that triggers the formation of blackheads in ear.
Examples of drugs that cause formation of blackheads and acne are, lithium, anticonvulsants, corticosteroids and androgenic steroids.
4. Hormonal changes
Hormones are chemical substances produced in the body and plays an important role of regulating the activities of cells and body organs. Blackheads are always used to indicate that there is imbalance of hormones in the body. This causes the increase in sebum production at the base of the hair follicles.
Can you get a blackhead inside ear canal?
Blackheads can also develop inside the ear canals. This is due to the bare fact that the lining of the ear canal is made up hair follicles which in turn indicate the presence of pores. The blackheads form inside the ear canal if there is no good ear hygiene.
If the ear wax is not cleaned to allow for fresh ear wax, it will lead to accumulation of the wax which in turn will combine with bacteria and dead skin cells and clog the pores. It can also lead to other ear infections.
Blackheads behind ear
Blackheads not only appear inside the ears. They can also appear behind the ears though very rare. The reason being that, the region behind the ears does not have hair follicles.
How to remove blackheads in ear
Blackheads are normally painful and also causes annoyance to the patient. Due to this, it’s advisable to remove the blackheads from the ears. There are several ways of removing blackheads from the ear. One of the common method is extracting them and the other one is by popping the blackheads.
How to extract blackheads inside ear canal
Blackhead extraction is very simple when using the extractor tools. Even so, extracting blackheads helps in getting rid of the blackheads very fast. The tools used also very efficient and causes less damage to the skin.
However, you should always look forward to seeing a professional since the process of extraction cannot be done by the same individual.
How to pop a blackhead in your ear
Blackheads in ears can be popped but it is discouraged by medics since this may lead to infection and excessive bleeding if at all the correct procedure is not taken into consideration.
However, if it is a must that the blackhead is to be popped, then the following procedure should be followed carefully:-
- Gently probe the blackhead with a warm washcloth to soften it
- Use a sterilized pin and gently begin pricking or probing it until it opens.
- Once open, gently squeeze it if possible or massage the area with a medicated solution until nothing comes from the area.
- Thereafter, apply an antiseptic lotion to avoid infections.
How to get rid of blackheads in ear fast
Blackheads are uncomfortable and painful at times. Knowing how to get rid of them fast is very beneficial to one’s health. Below are some of the practices that can help get rid of blackheads in ear fast,
1. Do thorough cleaning of the ears
The general cleanliness of the ear is very important. Since the human ear is made up of ear wax which is secreted by the glands found on the skin. This wax is very vital and useful for protection of the fine tissues of the middle ear. However, the ear needs to be cleaned to get rid of the wax and allow for fresh wax to be secreted.
Cleaning the ears will also help in the removal of excess oils on the skin because when the sebum is produced in excess, it accumulates on the hair follicles clogging the pores. It then causes the development of blackheads.
2. Exfoliate the skin surface around the ears
Exfoliation is aimed at removing the dead skin cells on the human skin. Therefore, this practice will greatly help get rid of the blackheads. However, if the skin is not exfoliated, dean skin accumulated on the skin will mix with sebum and bacteria that will cause blockage of the pores thus developing blackheads.
3. Open the pores
Open pores makes the process of dirt removal very easy. When the pores are open, the waste materials can come out easily. This can be achieved by use of warm compress application on the ears using a sponge or other a piece of cloth.
4. Use of blackhead extractors to remove the blackheads
Blackhead extractor is a very simple and easy to use tool. However, someone else must do it for use to avoid injuries. Never try to squeeze the blackheads because it might lead to other infections.
How to get rid of blackheads in ear naturally
How can you get rid of blackheads naturally? In order to get rid of blackheads naturally, then it will involve the use of home remedies which are natural, readily available and with less or no side effect(s). Below are some of the homemade remedies for blackheads,
1. Milk + Honey
A mixture of honey and milk is an excellent home remedy for the blackheads in the ear. Milk contains lactic acid which helps in making the skin soft and smooth. Honey on the other hand possesses antibacterial properties that keeps bacteria away from the skin.
For effective use of milk and honey, follow the guidelines below:-
- Take one tablespoon of organic and pure honey in a small microwave safe bowl.
- Add a teaspoon of cold milk to the honey and mix it well.
- Now microwave the contents in the bowl for a minute. Now mix the contents once again.
- Allow it to reach room temperature and then apply a thin layer of this mixture over the blackheads in ear.
- Now take a strip of dry and clean cotton cloth and pat it gently on the thin layer of honey and milk mixture.
- Make sure that it sticks firmly on the mixture. Allow it to dry and wait for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Now carefully peel this trip away and rinse your ear with cold water. Apply moisturizer on it.
- Repeat this process three times a week and you can get rid of blackheads in ear in a month’s time.
2. Apply honey on the blackheads
Honey when used alone will greatly help get rid of blackheads in ear. This is because honey contains antibacterial properties. However, it is always advisable to use the raw honey for excellent results. In addition, honey helps in balancing of the skin actions especially for the oily skins.
How can you use the honey on the blackheads? The steps for applying honey on the blackheads is simple as indicated below:-
- Smear the raw honey on the affected area
- Allow it to stay in contact for a period of 10 minutes. Being in contact for some time will allow the honey to work on the blackheads.
- Use lukewarm water to wash off the honey from the skin.
- Repeat the same procedure thrice a week for excellent results
3. Steam the blackheads
It involves the use of steam or water vapor. The steam is derived from hot water. The steam operates in such a way that, it softens the blackheads by melting the sebum that is accumulated under the hair follicles.
For excellent results and safety, follow the precise steps below:-
- Pour boiled water into an open container like a basin.
- Allow the water to cool for a while for safety.
- Cover your head with a big towel and lean over the basin with your ears into contact with the steam.
- Ensure that you cover yourself in such a way that the steam does not escape out.
- Stay in contact with the steam for a while. For about 10 minutes.
- Thereafter, rinse your face with warm water and wipe to remove excess water by use of a dry and clean piece of cloth.
- Repeat the procedure for a couple of weeks to get rid of blackheads naturally.
4. Use of bentonite clay
Bentonite clay mask is used to get rid of blackheads in ear naturally. The clay is used because of its strong healing properties. The clay not only helps get rid of blackheads but also in the healing of many other ailments associated with the skin.
Bentonite clay works by removal of any oil and skin impurities from the hair follicles and the pores. The clay also provide significant minerals that aid in the circulation of blood in the skin.
However, the use of bentonite clay needs carefulness in order to get rid of the blackheads from the ear naturally. Therefore, the following steps needs to be followed attentively.
- Make a paste by mixing bentonite clay with sufficient amount of water. The paste should be thick for easy application on the skin. Apple cider vinegar could also be used instead of using water.
- Apply a thin layer of the bentonite paste on the affected region of the ear
- Allow the mask to stay on the ear for around 25 minutes until it dries out fully.
- Using lukewarm water wash the ear and pat it to dry.
- Apply a moisturizer on the ear
- Repeat the procedure for at least twice for four consecutive weeks.
5. Lemon juice + Olive Oil mixture
The two remedies work hand in hand to enhance the skin. Lemon juice is very important for cleansing of the skin. Therefore, lemon juice will help in the elimination of dirt on the skin that would otherwise combine with sebum to clog the hair follicles. Clogging of the hair follicles cause the development of blackheads. Lemon juice also helps in de-clogging the clogged skin pores.
On the other hand, olive oil plays the role of making the skin soft and smooth. Therefore, when lemon juice and olive oil are used together, the results are excellent.
For use of olive oil and lemon juice mixture,
- Mix equal amount of olive oil with an equal amount of lemon juice.
- Apply the mixture on the affected area of the ear.
- Leave the mixture to stay for a few minutes. Leaving it to stay overnight will yield excellent results.
- Wash it off using lukewarm water
- Repeat the above procedure for a couple of weeks for maximum results.
6. Use Tea Tree Oil to remove dirt.
Tea tree oil is extracted from a tea tree. It has strong antiseptic properties. Due to this reason, tea tree oil can help to remove dirt from the skin. The removal of dirt reduces the chances of developing blackheads in ear. This is because there will not be dirt to combine with sebum on the skin to clog the pores on the skin.
In addition, tea tree oil not only helps gets rid of the blackheads in ear but also ensures that the blackheads don’t recur.
To use tea tree oil,
- Apply enough of tea tree oil on the ear on a daily basis.
- Allow the oil to stay on the ear for a minimum of 15 minutes and this can stay overnight.
- Thereafter, wash out the tree oil using lukewarm water and wipe the excess water to dry.
7. Toothpaste for drying blackheads
Toothpaste contains mint and is normally used for brushing teeth. The paste can also be applied on blackheads. The toothpaste makes the blackheads to dry. However, toothpaste can cause irritation of the skin especially for individuals with sensitive skin.
8. Honey and Cinnamon Paste
A mixture of honey and cinnamon is very useful in eliminating blackheads in ear. Honey plays the role of keeping away bacteria due to its anti-bacterial properties. Honey also helps in de-clogging of the pores. On the other hand, cinnamon improves blood circulation on the skin making it smooth and healthier.
Below is a simple guideline on how to use the honey and cinnamon paste:-
- Mix equal amount of raw and pure honey with cinnamon powder.
- Apply a thin layer of the paste on the affected areas of the ear. To be applied on the individual blackheads.
- Allow the paste to stay on the blackheads for about five minutes.
- Thereafter, remove the layer of the paste and rinse your ears with lukewarm water.
- Then moisturize the skin to get rid of dryness.
9. Lemon Juice Remedy
Lemon juice is an effective home remedy for blackheads in ears. The lemon juice contains citric acid that is naturally alpha hydroxyl acid. The acid is very important since it helps in the exfoliation of the skin. This is done by eliminating any dirty that can cause bacteria.
In addition, nitric acid present in lemon juice helps is shrinking of the blackheads in ears. Shrinking of the blackheads makes them to heal very fast. They shrink since the acid tries to drain the contents of the blackheads.
- Extract the juice into a container
- Dilute the extract with little amount of water to reduce the acidity
- Swab the lemon juice solution using cotton balls and apply on the blackheads in the ear region
- Allow the solution to dry slow as it works over the blackheads
- Clean the ear to get rid of the solution
- Repeat the procedure above three times a day for maximum results.
10. Lemon juice + Milk Remedy
Lemon juice apart from being used independently, it can also be used together with boiled milk in order to get rid of blackheads in ears very fast. As mentioned earlier on, lemon juice contains nitric acid responsible for shrinking of blackheads and skin exfoliation. On the other hand, milk contains lactic acid which helps in dissolving of impurities and dirt that cause blackheads.
The procedure of using lemon and milk remedy is as follows:-
- Mix little amount of lemon juice with boiled milk
- Apply the mixture on the blackheads in the ears
- Allow the solution to dry while on the blackheads
- Then, carefully squeeze the blackheads to de-clog the pores in the ears
- Repeat the process for three consecutive days.