Skin is one of the biggest ecosystem and largest organ of the body. It shows the wellness of an individual. Skin helps in excreting waste materials through perspiration. The organs responsible for excretion are; colon, liver and lungs and they largely benefit from detox. Detoxification lightens toxins handled by your organs, enhances body healing function and enables better body processes; circulation of purified blood, cleansing oily skin and benefit dry skin. This may help prevent pimple acne breakout as a result.
What does detox for acne involve?
Detoxification is one of the many practice done by people of diverse culture, religion all over the world. Detox aims at helping get rid of accumulated toxins of the body. Your skin is made up of three layers; epidermis, dermis and subcutaneous tissue. Detox can change your skin appearance with about 4-6 weeks of consistent real and lasting change. This is the same time the dermis inner layer takes to appear on exterior epidermal layer. The real complexion changes and healing require about 3-6 months of consistent dietary and supplementation change.
The following procedures play an important role during the process;
1. Stopping toxins influx
This involves limiting the amount of toxin intake in normal and complex measures. Excessive oil production is the main culprit for pimple acne breakouts. Addressing over-stimulation of oil glands and corresponding infections as a result digestive system, diets, hormones liver and adrenal function is the first step. Limiting the sources of the toxins will help reduce continued bumps break out. Therefore, avoid the following:
1. Congesting food;
These stimulate the adrenal functions warming the body and irritating sensitive skin.
- Dairy products which include cheese butter and yoghurt.
- Animal fats- like red meat and pork and start using plant based oils.
- Commercial sweets- refined sugars and their products, white flour and hidden fats
2. Foods that stimulate sebaceous glands;
- Nicotine rich products like tobacco
- Spiced foods, chilli, curry
- Orange and strawberries
2. Address the accumulated toxins
Limiting congesting and stimulant food in your diets help to detox your system. The next process involves triggering elimination of toxins, encouraging better food digestion and taking supplements that help the healing of your skin.
1. Skin healing diets;
- You need to consider vegetable rich in protein; chia seed, lentils, quinoa, tofu
- Good source of essential fatty acids foods; raw almonds, avocado, sesame seeds, walnuts, sunflower seeds or tahini
- The body needs plenty of water to support normal body functioning, hydrating and metabolism.
- Take about 6-8 glasses of water depending on body mass. However, avoid too much consumption to avoid burdening your kidneys and flushing water soluble vitamins (vitamin B and C).
You may consider lemon water every day in the morning to stimulate liver function and hydrate the body.
3. Dietary supplements;
- Zinc- essential for boosting immunity, skin repair and overall hormonal health
- B complex- helps for healthy nervous system, good metabolism, skin and digestive system.
- Silymarin Marianum (milk thistle) it promotes the liver health and boosts immune responses in your body.
- N-Acetyl-L-Cysteine- (N-A-C) – it helps to support and boost lung and liver functions.
- Turmeric Curcumin, – a gluten free vegetable capsule
- Vitamin C and E- supplements or you may eat diets with vegetables and fruits rich in vitamin C and E.
3. Address the skin problem
The best way to address the sensitive skin is both dietary and externally through lifestyle change. To try help, avoid external causes of skin problems; pimples, rashes, acne, zits, bumps and scars. You may consider using the correct skin care products and avoid all harsh soaps, scrubs, cleansers and peels. You may also consider the fabric of your garment. Ensure your skin breathes and stabilizes its own normal moisture secretion. Avoid things like excessive sun tanning, swimming in chlorinated water and thing that may be allergic to your skin. You may consider skin clearing regime one per 3 months to reveal clearer and healthier complexion.
In this point you may consider using detoxifying healing mask of bentonite clay as a detox bath. Clay is known for its capability to draw out toxins, dirt and impurities from the skin pores. The detox bath also helps to get rid of acne pimples scars on your skin. You may make it a weekly routine for better results. The bath detox may include adding the following;
- Baking soda- its highly alkaline and leaves the skin silky.
- Apple Cider Vinegar- it helps restore the pH of your skin.
- Epsom salt- it helps to clear lymphatic congestion.
- Hydrogen peroxide- it give your skin a shot of oxygen.
- Exercise daily – sweating is an outlet for waste products to leave your body. Exercise relieves stress for example an hour of yoga, walking, or aerobic exercise would help with both sweat and stress.
Detoxification process also involves removing impurities from the blood and excreting organs. Herbal detox would help relieve the burden of liver, kidney, intestines, lungs, skin and lymphatic system their functions. This would ensure they function at their optimum levels to eliminate toxins from the body.
5. Review the result and observe the impacts
The following are some of the things you will notice at the end of detoxification
- Reduced internal inflammation and external skin problems
- Sore energy levels
- Natural shifts from unhealthy habits and lifestyle
- Suppressed hormonal level and restored with youthful feeling
- Normalized but optimum appetite and metabolism.
What should acne detoxification involve?
Acne detoxification should put into consideration the health of the colon. Colon is another major ecosystem organ with trillions of bacteria. These bacteria play an important role in stool and bowel movement. Trillions bacteria usually compete for food, water and space with harmful bacteria on the colon lining. Colon naturally finds a way to remove these harmful bacteria out of the body.
Trillions of these bacteria are symbiotic and in turn make fatty acids, vitamins and propanoic acid (fights colon cancer). Probiotic bacteria help fight diseases causing bacteria and train the immune system. The body tries to destroy good bacteria like Lactobacillus acidophilus through inflammation. The immune system then learns they don’t have to be destroyed for the colon lining to stay intact.
This helps the body to adjust, releasing fewer inflammatory chemicals thereby reducing skin and brain inflammation. Therefore, make sure your detox has maintained healthy probiotic bacteria to keep the immune itself from causing toxic reactions that can leads to pimple acne formation.
Which is the best acne detox? The best detox to stop inflammation in your skin is to avoid colon cleansers or antiseptics and being kind to these bacteria in your colon. Take probiotic supplements and periodic controlled consumption of yogurt.
The body system has other natural ways that remove toxins from the body they include;
- Sweating; the skin help gets rid of about 10% of body toxins. The skin transforms body toxins into water soluble that kidney can dispose of easily.
- Faster weight loss; skin detoxification facilitates weight loss.
- Anti-ageing; detoxification help removes free radical.
- Improve your quality of life. Smoother and softer skin is just a bonus of skin detoxification, regaining your good health is prime.
Benefits of detoxification
1. Help get rid of excess waste/ toxins of the body
The best results for detoxification is allowing the body to get rid itself of any excess waste it has been storing. Many detox programs are designed to get rid of excess waste on liver, colon and kidney. Getting rid of colon stored toxins is important to avoid reintroduction on the body. Fruits and vegetables are important in your detox program.
2. Weight loss
Detox diets plays an important role in weight loss in short term. In long term establishing healthy eating habits, reduce drastically the calories that result in rapid weight loss.
3. Better immune system
Detoxification help to free up the organs to functions the way they should. This help to boost the immune system due to improved nutrients and vitamin C absorption. Herbs used during detoxification also help detoxify lymphatic system which keep them healthy and active to fire on all cylinders. Light exercises that are part of detoxification program, help to circulate the lymph fluid through the body and help drain and strengthen your immune system.
4. Better fresh breath
Detoxifying the colon may result to better breath. When one is able to clear the colon it gets the digestive system functioning well that may lead to improved breath. However, the breath may first get worse during detoxification but it will be better after the detox program is finished.
5. Boost your body energy
By cutting out sugar, saturated fat and caffeine and using fresh vegetables and fruit, your natural energy improves. Many detox program users report feeling more energetic. It is important to note that you stay well hydrated while on detox program.
6. Healthy skin
Skin is one of the largest organs in your body. As part of skin detoxification, taking sauna is recommended to help body sweat out additional toxins. Detoxing help clear out acne and make your skin smoother at the end of detox plan.
7. Healthier hair
Detoxification keeps the body functioning. It helps remove toxins that may inhibit hair growth, hair grows faster, softer and gets shinier since it grows uninhibited by internal toxins.
8. Clearer thinking
Generally, sugar filled and fat filled foods causes us to feel lethargic that interfere with quality of thinking. Detox program help to have clear and attentive to your state of mind. Detox help one to replace the old ways and make healthier choices.
Sources and Reference
Livestrong: Ways to detox for acne?
Facing acne: Can you really detox for acne?
TheLoveVitamin: How to tell if it’s just detox acne?